Dairy Industry’s School Invasion
The blatant dairy industry ads manipulating teens to think milk is good for them has gone too far! It is time to take action. I was both happy and proud to attend my grandson’s induction into the honor society at his high school this month. Over the following few days, I became more and more angry with what I saw in the schools cafeteria. We were bombarded with multiple larger than poster size milk industry sexually suggestive and super hero type ads on the walls of the school cafeteria.
Career in Marketing
Don’t get me wrong…my entire career has been about successful marketing of innovative products. I understand a good campaign when I see one. Successful ads get people to buy products that may or may not be good for them. And, that is exactly what the dairy industry has been doing with their “Got Milk” campaign. Nevertheless, shouldn’t schools be teaching kids to scrutinize the messages that are being pummeled in their direction? We have known for well over 30 years that cow’s milk is not good for the human body. Loaded with growth hormones, it is made for a baby calf not humans. The calves are forcefully taken from their mothers at birth by the dairy industry’s factory farms.
I wrote a letter to the principal of the school early this week, requesting that the ads be removed and included the following information in my letter. We will see how he responds. I will let you know when and if I hear from the school. I also recommended that he and his staff watch the documentaries “Forks Over Knives” and “Cowspiracy”:
- In 2008, the CDC reported an 18% increase in food allergies. Food allergies among children increased 50% between 1997 and 2011.
- Eight foods account for 90% of all food allergies: peanuts, tree nuts, fish, crustacean shellfish, milk and seafood.
- No other species drinks the milk of a different species.
- Knowledgeable pediatricians are strongly recommending no cow’s milk for infants until at least their first birthday due to an increased incidence of Type 1 diabetes.
- Casein from cow’s milk protein has been shown to promote cancer in laboratory rats in multiple unbiased international studies. Clearly documented in the book “The China Study” which sites 700 other peer reviewed, non-biased, studies as well as the results of the China Project research, funded by the NIH through Cornell University.
- Symptoms of lactose intolerance most often begin in teens. Mild to severe symptoms may include: bloating, pain or cramps, gurgling or rumbling sounds in your belly, gas, loose stools or diarrhea, and/or throwing up. I was not aware of my lactose intolerance until I eliminated dairy from my diet four years ago.
- About 65 percent of the world’s population has some degree of lactose intolerance, according to a 2012 article in the International Dairy Journal.
- “Hormones in Milk Can be Dangerous”, http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/2006/12.07/11-dairy.html
- In the USA, Finland, Sweden and the UK, where dairy product consumption is the highest, also have the highest rates of bone fractures and osteoporosis. http://foodmatters.tv/articles-1/the-truth-about-calcium-and-osteoporosis
- Dairy industry uses excessive lobbying to promote milk and dairy consumption: http://www.dairyreporter.com/Markets/US-dairy-industry-lobbying-2012-Who-spent-what-and-why
- Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM) http://www.pcrm.org/health/diets/vegdiets/health-concerns-about-dairy-products
- Manipulative dairy industry advertising campaigns in schools …. http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-food/dairy-lobby-cows-milk-calcium/
The new 2015 dietary guidelines will be published
this year. It will de-emphasize milk, dairy and meat as healthy or environmentally sustainable. You may want to follow this information closely and speak up. http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015-scientific-report/
The dairy industry is a dinosaur and will become extinct. Let’s do our part to make it happen sooner rather than later. It is not sustainable as an industry and the products are unhealthy for human consumption. Milk and dairy products contribute to high cholesterol, obesity and both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes. It is NOT what we want to encourage our children to consume.
Your Turn to Do Something…
Please visit your child’s school and look around at what is being pushed on students. Let your schools know that this kind of manipulation is not acceptable. Use the above information in whatever manner you feel necessary to stop the milk and dairy industry from stalking YOUR kids.